In Alistair's Mini Bite below you'll find information on Alistair Danter's work as Project Manager for SkyeConnect.Read More
November 22, 2020
SkyeConnect Video Bitesize Ep.6
In this weeks bitesize - we cover the launch of skye-connect.com our new B2B membership website plus much more.
Reading time 3.5mins –
Some areas of Scotland are now in full lockdown, but others can enjoy a return to some form of normality. However, with travel from Tier 4 to lower tier areas now illegal, the situation is proving difficult for hospitality providers in terms of identifying the genuine home address of potential guests. SkyeConnect has asked VisitScotland to liaise with Online Travel Agents to see if originator post codes can be clearly displayed on all bookings. ‘Supercontrol’ https://supercontrol.co.uk – the booking and management system used by many self-caterers – already has a system that enables businesses to check the postcode of people making reservations – conversely those making bookings can also check if travel to their chosen destination is allowed. This is just one example of the ever-changing landscape and the challenges that SkyeConnect tackles on behalf of members. Here’s what else has been occupying our time.
– We have launched our new B2B website www.skye-connect.com the site outlines the work we do, explains membership benefits and keeps operators informed of developments within the tourism industry. Further developments to the social media content of the site will be included as time goes on. Membership starts for as little as £5.99 / month and guarantees savings on many of our events (See Tuminds Social Media training below) and services. There is more information about the website featured on this week’s edition of the Skyetime Podcast (see below).
– For businesses living in the HIE area an opportunity has been created to attend the ‘X-Festival’, a five-day digital programme running from November 30th to December 4th promoted by DTTT – Digital Tourism Think Tank. The festival brings together speakers from all over the world under the banner of ‘Reshaping the Visitor Economy’. The festival seeks to help businesses plan and reshape their future. Operators can visit https://www.xfestival.travel/partner-destinations/hie and follow the ‘register for free’ link. Any registration issues should be dealt with directly through the DTTT online chat function. There are a few exclusions to the free registration outlined on the registration page but those who fall into this category can register at a discount of 20% by using the code ‘HIE-GUEST’.
– On Friday 27th November, Directors of SkyeConnect will be meeting with our MSP, Kate Forbes. If you have a specific question you would like us to put to Kate please email firstname.lastname@example.org
– Last week the SkyeConnect Hotels Group met online with presentations from Faye Macleod of Campbell Stewart Maclennan, Ryan Felber of Zero Waste Scotland and David MacDonald of SkyeConnect. Topics covered included furlough regulations, cashback and interest free loans for investments in renewables, carbon reduction and recycling initiatives for SMEs…….and best practice in social media.
– Next week – on Tuesday 24th November at 1100, the Campsite sector will be meeting online via Microsoft Teams with guest speakers. We will be looking at issues facing the sector including Skye’s camping capacity based on the experience of 2020. Click here to join the meeting
– On 9th December we will be running a Social Media Training session “Good practice for social media” with Tuminds Ltd. The Training is open to any business operating on Skye or in neighbouring areas. Registration is via Eventbrite at this link. Tickets are priced at £10 for SkyeConnect Members and £20 for non-members.
– The Skyetime Podcast will have not one, but two new episodes in the next few days. On Friday 20th November, Simon Cousins interviews David MacDonald about his diverse career in tour-guiding, web design, social media and music. David also explains the rationale and benefits behind the new myskyetime.com marketing website and the new SkyeConnect membership website. On Monday 23rd, Simon interviews SEALL Creative Director, Marie Lewis and musician, Inge Thomson about the ‘virtual’ Small Halls Festival taking place on Skye from the 26th-28th of November.
– Just as we completed drafting this edition, we received news that the Strategic Business Fund scheme just went live a few minutes ago – details can be found here www.highland.gov.uk/strategicframeworkfund
And lastly, a call for new blood! Following our conversion to a CIC (Community Interest Co.), SkyeConnect is looking for new Directors from any sector and any sized business to join the Board. Candidates should be a member of SkyeConnect and nominated by 2 other members. For further information contact email@example.com.